There are lots of Advent calendars and activities I’ve stumbled upon online but nothing else has been comparable to Truth In The Tinsel: An Advent Experience For Little Hands e-book. First of all, it’s made with toddlers and preschoolers in mind. The e-book was written by a mom who used to be a Children’s Pastor so she’s great at putting Bible stories into terms that young children can understand. Amanda realizes we are all busy and gives us optional schedules to follow if we don’t have time to do an activity every day.
Each day consists of 5 parts:
1) The Clue- A picture or word that the children find to give them a hint about the day’s topic. Amanda includes two different types of clues for download. Pictures can be put in an advent calendar or word clues that can be taped into a chain.
2) The Scripture- Amanda gives verses to read. She suggests using an actual Bible as opposed to an electronic version to get the kids familiar with the actual Bible (a very good idea!)
3) The Ornament- After listening to the Scripture children make a related ornament. I like that she includes templates for those (like me) who can’t draw. Most of these ornaments use supplies that can be found around the home but she also includes a supply list so you can purchase any items you need.
4) The Talk- Amanda gives ideas of what you can talk about and questions you can ask while you make the ornament to get them talking about what they learned.
5) Extras- Amanda includes extra ideas throughout the experience to take the lesson farther. It might be a song to download that goes along with the Bible verse, a DVD to watch, or a fun activity to do with the family.
The boys and I will be going through this e-book throughout December. Won’t you join us? You can purchase the e-book for $2.99 TODAY ONLY as a special Black Friday Deal. After today it is $4.99 but totally worth every penny! Make sure to check out the Facebook group, too.
(Disclosure: I received a copy of this e-book to review but all thoughts are my own.)